Friday, May 6, 2011

FD. random thoughts and maybe correct information

Welcome back faithful readers.  When we last left our fearless monk he was leaving the bright sands of South Ro and headed to points east.  I had bounced around a bit finishing up the sash quests and trying to find something to do when I realized that I was just fifty percent away from level 17 and the FD skill.  I was also way down on cash from my recent purchase of the Wu gear.  But at 16 there are not many places to go to get cash.
To resolve both of these apparently unconnected problems I wandered into Nektulos Forrest and found an apparently endless supply of wisps.  These guys conned blue to me and they dropped greater lightstones that sell for 4pp each.  After about an hour I had dinged 17 and got the Feign Death skill.  Score.  Running to Freeport and falling to the ground every 12 seconds I sold all my lightstones and raked in 80pp.  I used some of this to pay for some training at the monk guildhouse.  The first 15 points in a skill do not cost anything money-wise to train at the guild house.  After that the skill costs cast to train.  Not a whole lot at first but it does eventually work its way up to several plat per point.  As I had only 35 points to train with I only spent maybe 5 plat training my fd skill up to 36.
Armed with the defining skill of a monk I decided it was time to head back to befallen and try to get the drop there for my final monk sash (the red one).  Unfortunately I had yet to get a single skill up in fd from practice.  The FD skill works like this (or at least it used to) every point represents a percentage of success.  So at 36 skill I had a 36% chance of any one fd performed of being successful.  At 100% it is not possible to fail an fd but you continue to get skill up to the level of 200.  Mend and sneak also work this way but sneak, for monks, only goes up to the level of 112.  Hopefully this is still the same but I suppose I will find out soon enough as my fd skill cap at level 17 is 90. 
When you have a chance to fail a FD 6.4 times out of 10 you still have to be careful.  In everquest I generally go by the rule that if you really need it to work its not going to so start going to ground early if you think you need to drop all that agro, at least until you get to the skill of 100.  Even at 99 if you really need the fd to work in all likelyhood its going to fail.  This is strange because I rely on mend to work most of the time when I really need it now that it is up to 60+ and it usually works out ok.  FD is just strange like that.
I did get the drop from the priest in Befallen.  It was given to me by a level 30 monk who was slaughtering everything down there.  I would thank him here but sadly I have forgotten his name.  I put off getting the drop from najena as that mob is level 30 and I could not even kill the mobs to get into his area and you need keys and whatnot to move around in Najena.  So I was left with a conundrum….what to do…

I will go over my next steps in my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment